Monday, May 9, 2011

Sunday's Column - Nature Center in Fontana

Sunday's column was about the Mary Vagle Nature Center in Fontana.  It's a modest place, but serves to teach children about the natural world.  Without their instruction most of the kids who come to them would not know the difference between a goose and a duck!  By the way, do you ?

Anyway, while I was there one of the volunteers, called John, brought out an animal for me to see.  It was a bearded dragon lizard.  One of the skills this creature has is when it's scared it shoots blood out of its eyes?  Yes, I think under the circumstances, I would back off a trifle!

John also offered to put me up close and personal with a snake that had just shed its skin.  I'm not fond of snakes, but he said he could cure my phobia in a few minutes.  I told him it wasn't a real phobia, but having lived with it all these years, I'm happy to travel the rest of the way in a similar condition, thank you very much!
You can read the entire column at www.sbsun.com/trevorstravels

No comments:

Post a Comment