Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday's Column - Sweeney Art Museum

Sunday's column is about an art museum in downtown Riverside.  This is a nice city and it seems to circulate around the Mission Inn which is something of an institution.  So much in fact that I went there for lunch.  Now I would recommend it, but shall we say the service is more European than American. In other words don't go there if you're in a hurry.  The food was excellent even though it made me late for my pm appointment.  Those of you who know me know how much I hate to be late.
The Culver Arts Building in Riverside

The Sweeney Art Museum is an institution devoted to the most contemporary art.  It is part of the University of California Riverside, which is a couple of miles up the road.  On the occasion of my visit there was an exhibit of art devoted to the plight of "illegal immigrants," who were of course referred to as "undocumented workers."  No matter your stance on the political situation regarding these people, you have to admit that they have a hard life made even harder by their situation.  Like me they came to this country seeking a better life, except I had the wherewithal to do it legally.
The exhibit is a powerful one and I would recommend seeing it before it closes on April 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment