Friday, December 17, 2010

Henry Moore

The Big Picture at the bottom last week was Three Reclining Figures which is at the LA County Museum of Art.  It is a large bronze piece by Henry Moore, who perhaps is England's most famous sculptor, and who died in 1986.  He was a Yorkshireman - one of eight children - who lived in extreme poverty growing up.  He became immensely wealthy but always lived modestly.

Like most people in the UK, I was introduced to his work slowly and with quite a lot of controversy.  It's become so accepted today, but at the time it was thought of as lumpy and not very clear.  There were also some odd physical things about his works which at the time were though of as disturbing.  I was unaware that my launch into the world of work was to occur each day as I passed under the portals of 55, Broadway, the home of London Transport, who sportingly offered me employment when I left school at 16.  They were later to withdraw their offer when the results of my end of school results came in.  But that's another tale.

Today, Moore's sculptures have endured and are all over the world.  If you want to check him out further, this is the link to the Wikipedia entry with many of his works shown at the bottom of the page.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment