Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Poodle Gene

Some time after I bought our first poodle, Whitney, home, I was reminded that this was not my first experience with the breed.  I was sitting in the Champs Elysees in Paris in the early sixties.  Someone brought two black standard Poodles along.  They are the biggest of the breed with miniature, toy and tea-cup following. Standards are about 60 - 80 pounds and are quite large dogs.
Frankie (L) and Johnny (R) Miniatures who weigh about 21 pounds each.

I had forgotten the event until I was reminded, but obviously a connection was made.  At the time I decided I wanted a poodle but with a young man's enthusiasms I forgot about it and perhaps rushed off in pursuit of another goal on my return home.

The other day there was another event.  I spotted a pair of black standard poodles being walked.  Without pause, I got out of the car and went over to the woman in charge:  "Do you mind if I speak to your Poodles?" I asked.  Naturally she understood that there is a compulsion among we poodle owners and she was happy to introduce them.  They were magnificent and very dignified.  I'm sure they understood me and were happy to allow me some time before they were walked off.

On return I mentioned the moment to She Who Must Be Obeyed, but was met with a slightly icy stare and the simple word "No!"  Not that I would want to bring another pair home.  But I do think about it from time to time.  It seems that I have the Poodle Gene for which there is no known cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment