Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chris Ross - R.I.P.

I was very sorry to hear of the death of an old friend, Chris Ross of Woking, England.  I first met Chris in the early 60's when we both would play snooker at the Woking Conservative Club, when it was located on the main street of the town.  When the club moved just outside the center we moved our games with it.  He was a brilliant player and eventually won both the English amateur snooker championship, and also the national billiard championship.  He had a maximum break of 147 in Epsom once, and knowing I worked there he hoped I might wander in at the momentous moment.  For years he was stuck on 136 which he achieved on the night Kennedy was assassinated.  He taught me a lot about the game and very occasionally I would beat him, but it was only very occasionally!  He was a master of positional play, and he was a joy to watch. I last met him at the Woking Snooker Center where this picture was taken.  It was about ten years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment