Saturday, June 23, 2012

Waitress

The other evening we had popped out for "a couple" at our local watering hole. It was mid-week and so it was fairly quiet, until a large party came in - they come every month to talk about their group's activities.  There were about 50 of them.  I was sitting at the bar and could watch the waitresses doing their thing.  Of course, I've seen it all before but this time I really took notice of what they had to do.  Granted, there is a computer system to log all their orders and which sends the food orders down to the kitchen.  But the drink's orders were filled by the waitresses themselves with some help from the barman.  They ranged from plain water, with ice of course, to iced tea and a strange one called an Arnold Palmer - half ice tea and half lemonade I was told.  Then there was a bewildering array of wines - Pinot Noire, White Zinfandel, Chardonnay etc. etc.  Frankly apart from the fact that I would no doubt not be able to read my own writing, there would be the problem of remembering in which order the drinks were supposed to be served.  I would have wanted to put the tray down in the middle and get the customers to sort it out.  After watching this for about half-an-hour I came to the conclusion that this was yet another job in life I would be unable to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment