Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday's Colulmn - Wende Museum

This Sunday is about the Wende Museum in Culver City.  Normally I'm about three or four years between visits but I was anxious to return here and meet up again with Justinian Jampol the founder and curator, so I revisited within about 18 months.


During my visit, he told me that he had met with Conrad Schumman, who leapt to freedom across the barbed wire beginnings of the Berlin Wall back in the early sixties.  Schumman committed suicide in 1998 suffering with depression, but this photo of him is one of the lasting images of the Cold War, which lasted from 1945 to 1991.  It was a long time, and is an integral part of the world view of those of us who lived through it.  To read the entire column click on http://www.sbsun.com/trevorstravels/ci_20769565/museum-offers-chilling-reminders-cold-war

No comments:

Post a Comment