Saturday, June 2, 2012

Long Live the Queen!



Today is the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth's reign.  Lots of Brits are having a big party.  I well remember when King George VI died and immediately Princess Elizabeth ascended to the throne.  At the time she was in Kenya staying at the Tree Tops Hotel with Prince Philip.  But she flew home immediately to be greeted on the tarmac by Winston Churchill.  It was another 16 months before the coronation took place at Westminster Abbey.  My father, who was a member of Toc H, had a service in the Abbey the following Sunday and took me along.  All the decorations were still in place and I shall never forget the experience - I was 13.  Perhaps someone can tell me why the celebrations are being held this year as the King died in February 1952, and the coronation was held in 1953.  Usually on a Friday, I post the Music Track, but this week in honor of my old homeland, here is perhaps one of the best loved and most patriotic pieces ever composed - Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar.  It takes about 4 1/2 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

No comments:

Post a Comment