Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Graduation

This week I attended my first High School graduation ceremony.  It tried very hard to avoid it saying that someone should stay behind and care for the dogs, but She Who Must Be Obeyed was having none of it. So after a two-hour drive, I had the opportunity of sitting on a hard metal chair on a football field while 417 children filed passed hearing their names called out.  I didn't know 416 of them!  Once again I was aware that such a formality was put on primarily for the benefit of the teachers, who got to speak to a larger class than normal, and then a long way second came the children.  In between we were lectured by various sanctimonious teenagers who lauded us to do the right thing and help our fellow humans.  Ayn Rand would have spun in her grave if she could have heard all the altruism that was floating around.  It took two hours and once again there was no attempt by the authorities to assist with parking spaces.  I shall not attend one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment