Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Health

Like me you probably receive a number of emails listing out how good things were years ago.  While it's interesting to reflect about this sort of romance, there are a number of ways that things have definitely improved.
Over the weekend the paper stated that San Bernardino was the best place in the US to recover from TB.  And there I was thinking it was just the best place to get mugged!
It took me back to my very early childhood when the "White Man's Burden" was a fact of every day life.  Lots of people had, or knew someone who had TB.  Sufferers would disappear to sanitariums for long periods.
I wonder how many people remember that on every bus in the UK was a sign saying: NO SPITTING
Remarkable that people had to be told this.  But with dirty air, a lot of smoking and also chewing tobacco, people used to spit regularly, and saliva was a great carrier of the virus that spread tuberculosis.  I can't say I'm sorry to be rid of the habit of spitting, although I think we do need to educate baseball players not to do it.  It seems the only place now where it's acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment