Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mexicans

Like most Europeans, who had not visited this part of the world before, when I came here I had virtually no knowledge of Mexicans.  My total cultural understanding was limited to Speedy Gonzales, and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - not quite an in-depth knowledge!
Thirty years ago I thought all Mexicans were like this!

The fact is that Mexicans are a huge part of Californian culture and most of them are a real asset.  Far from spending all their time sitting under huge hats and blankets sleeping, they usually work extremely hard.

We recently needed the trim on our house repainted and I used a young man whom we knew from previous experience.  He spent several evenings coming along, fitting us into his work schedule, as he had other jobs in the area.  Firstly he really sanded down the wood, which had a lot of old paint and stain on it.  Then right up until it was too dark to continue, he kept putting on several coats, explaining to us how it would turn out.  In the end he put four coats on before he collected his check.  It was a first class job and I shall certainly use him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment