Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are You Ready for Some Football?


I'm getting more American, I think.  For several years I rather avoided football as I couldn't quite understand what was going on.  But over the last decade, I've become more interested in it.  It is, after all, barely concealed violence which I think is in our genes - well, the male ones at least, although a certain young lady did turn me on to the Philadelphia Eagles, who have a history of declared brutalilty.

I don't have a serious team as I've never quite bonded with one, so I have a certain purist attitude to games that appear on TV.  I've never been to a professional match although shortly after arriving here I did go with my sons and some others to the Rose Bowl to see a game between two local colleges.  We gave up after about half an hour as we didn't know the rules and there seemed to be no real fun going on.  Big men - or youths - sat around and then occasionally got up and ran around for about a minute, whereupon they went and sat down again.  Seemed pointless.

My son Simon is a diehard Raiders fan, and has no interest in any other team, which precludes watching any other matches, which I think is a shame.  Sadly the Raiders have done badly for some years now so there's little celebration in Simon's house during the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment