Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Two Wheels Part II

My 1993 FXRS - SP

Continuing the two wheel journey, my next step is what happened with a motorcycle.  These machines were generally considered working men's transportation in the 50's and 60's.  They were dangerous and also with such a rainy climate they were not a lot of fun.  By 1992, I had never ridden one and only been on the back three times.  My son, Michael, bought a Harley Davidson Sportster for riding in London and when he came out to me he wanted to visit the local dealer.  During our visit he suggested that this was something that I might enjoy doing.  Naturally I pooh-poohed it, but the idea must have sunk in as I began going there myself and browsing around.  I didn't tell She Who Must Be Obeyed (S.W.M.B.O.) as I assumed she would not approve.  I was correct!  Eventually the secret came out however and we had strong words about it; she didn't like the idea at all.
I continued with my dream and I managed to get her along to the dealer to see which one I looked best on.  She said an FXRS model in black was the one and so it was.
I joined a California Highway Patrol motorcycle riding course and spend a couple of weekends sitting in a classroom and then riding around a parking lot on a Honda 150 c.c. machine.
Nothing prepared me for the shock of actually riding a 1350 c.c. machine off the lot on October 17, 1992 and particularly as I had to ride over the busiest crossroads in LA - Washington and Lincoln, where they were shooting a film that day!
This is the actual picture of me riding off the Bartels HD lot on the morning of October 17th, 1992.  Brand new jacket, boots and gloves - everything squeaked!  The young lady on the left is Molly from whom I bought the machine.
I managed to get the bike home without dropping it, and then it was just a case of practising, which I did; a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment