Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wonders of the World - Number Six

As this is a personal Wonders of the World, my choice for the sixth spot is Cruise Ships.  I think I was hooked when I was in the old port of San Juan, Puerto Rico and one of these majestic ships came into the dock where we were.  It was huge and it had a certain grace to it.  I had a similar experience when I was waiting for a friend at LAX once and the 747 came right up to the window where I was standing, and stopped just a few feet away.  There was something about such a huge piece of engineeering travelling so far and coming to rest at my feet.  Cruise ships are wonderful inventions and contain everything that anyone could possibly want for a vacation - with the possible exception of a billiard table!  They are luxurious and comfortable and even if you just want to do nothing they provide a place in which to do it in great style.
These two ships are the Coral Princess on the right and Cunard's Queen Victoria tied up at Puntarenas in Costa Rica, where it was just a short walk to the beach along the pier.
Next week is the last of the series - Number Seven.  I wonder if you can guess what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment