Friday, September 17, 2010

Route 66 Rendezvous

We've reached that time of year when the Route 66 Rendezvous goes on in San Bernardino.  I have some thoughts about the event.  Firstly, I only went on one occasion to see this parade of classic cars through the main thoroughfares.  It made me realize how bereft we Brits are in the business of classic cars -  unless you  talk about really expensive ones like Rolls Royce Phantoms and Bentley Continentals, of course.  Have you ever looked at a 1955 Ford Popular?  Or a 1957 Austin A30?  Probably two of the ugliest machines ever to be devised.  We're also responsible for the Reliant Robin!  Sadly a few of these horrors did struggle their way pasts the spectators when I was there - I cringed at a 1960's Hillman Minx.  It was surrounded by gleaming examples of Detroit muscle and put the little box in the shade.  I confess to once actually owning one of these Hillman's; it was in green and cream, and I liked it very much.  I guess it was a case of ignorance is bliss.

Having swallowed my pride over my old country's deficiency in automotive engineering, I nonetheless thoroughly enjoy the hype in following the Route 66 celebrations, as it is a part of America's birthright.  One of the famous stops along the way is Amboy, and the world renowned Roy's Motel.  Plans continue to make this the stopping place it used to be before the Interstate came through a half mile away and effectively killed their business.  It's in interesting part of recent history though.

No comments:

Post a Comment