Thursday, September 9, 2010

Being Called Out

Now I have to say I don't often get called out on my pieces for The Sun.  But a short time back I was in a fine stately home - Yes we do have them out here! - and I happened to notice a picture of a woman in one of the entrances to the library.

She had held herself very erect for the painting which was in 19th century black, and I happened to mention to one of the docents that she didn't look like a woman to whom you would tell an off-color joke.  He laughed and agreed with me.


Unfortunately I allowed this frivolity to carry over to the article I wrote.  Back came a stern note telling me that this reader did not appreciate such comments about her mother!  Oh dear; have to watch that sort of thing in future.  The site was at the Huntington which has wonderful oriental gardens and pavilions.

No comments:

Post a Comment