Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tire Pressure

Now I don't know about you, but I'm not very good with tire pressure checking.  I tend to leave it alone for far too long.  There's something degrading about crawling around all four wheels and having to fit that annoying little hose on and then waiting for it to inflate.  Out here, you have to pay a dollar for the use of a machine that always seems very slow.
They will let you have it for free if you buy gas there, but that's always a hassle.

So the other day  having filled up the car, I was on my way, when I noticed a little light come on the dashboard.  I wasn't sure what it was as I hadn't seen it before.  I stopped and got out the instruction manual that came with the vehicle, and it told me that this little sign means that one or all of the tires needed inflating.  How the heck did it know?

So back I went to the garage and the friendly mechanic, whom I know well, said to let him do it for me with his proper compressor.

Hey presto, I was on my way in no time.  After he'd filled the tires, I noticed that the little light was still on.  He assured me that after a couple of rotations the light would go out.  It seems there is a tiny radio in each tire stem and it beams a message to the central computer if things are not quite right.  What will they think of next?

No comments:

Post a Comment