Thursday, October 18, 2012

Corfe Castle

I was reading an on-line British newspaper the other day and there was this charming photo of one of my favorite places in England - Corfe Castle.
I first went there when I was about 17 with my first girlfiend and another couple.  It was the first trip I'd ever taken away from my parents and so far away.  In those days the drive was about three hours with no motorways to help.  The drive from Wareham down to Corfe was the last link and we were all pretty tired, when all of a sudden as we came around a bend the Castle popped into view.  It's an incredible sight.  The castle, built by William the Conquerer in the 11th century, was blown to pieces by Oliver Cromwell in 1645 after the civil war ended.  Immediately in front here is a pub called not unnaturally The Castle.  To the right out of frame is another one called The Greyhound.  I have been back many times to the village, but never stayed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment