Saturday, August 4, 2012

Loyalties

I was on an errand the other day and  I was asked who I cheered for at the Olympics.  I had to admit that I hadn't thought about it much, and also rarely if ever do the USA and Great Britain come in direct competition.  I always cheered for Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France, but then Bradley Wiggins the Brit is now the champion and it's a wonderful achievement.

I have lived very happily in the US now for 30 years and I don't think about loyalties too much.  I love to see the Queen and hear about the Royal Family, but apart from the top politicians - maybe about four - I don't know any of them over there.  On the other hand I can probably give the names of all the serious politicos in the US.

When I returned home I went to the computer to see how the Olympics were doing.  I looked up the medal table and then the individual medalists.  After that I went on to other things and suddenly realized I hadn't looked up the UK results at all, only the USA.  So I guess that says a lot.

Having said that, I don't suppose my Britishness will ever leave me, although it is from a different time.  For instance I found the entire opening ceremony - a celebration of collectivism - very bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment