Monday, September 5, 2011

Wimpification


I heard a teacher talking on the radio the other day.  She was talking about the "wimpification" of her young boy charges.  I've been aware of this going on for several years and I don't think it's doing anyone any good.
Some years back I read a book called Iron John.  It talked about how we were one of the few societies that did not give their young men a chance of earning their manhood by performing some small act of bravery.
In my generation it was conscription, and although I didn't go into National Service, I was well affected by being surrounded by so many that did.
Today, young men join gangs to get that rite, or earn it on the sports field.  No matter how much "progressive" thinkers try to stop scoring, the kids know who won and by how much.  You can't stop the natural competitiveness of boys.
You may be wondering what the picture above has to do with this subject, but the teacher on the air used a phrase that I had not heard of before.  She said one of the problems she faced was that boys are not allowed to show their spirit, because many of their parents are "helicopter" parents.  They are hovering around the boys lives all the time.  I don't think it's a good trend to be texting their kids all the time, but that is what it seems to be happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment