Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shooting

It was interesting that just before I went out to do a piece on our local shooting range, I received an email on the 2nd amendment.  Now I was always told that the two subjects one should never raise in conversation at the table were politics and religion.  I think we also should add the subject of guns to the list.

Nothing seems to excite people as much as gun control.  And yet recent estimates suggest there are at least 64 million guns in the U.S.A.  Somehow, I can't see these being voluntarily handed in if the government made them illegal.  As with all "difficult" subjects true statistics are hard to come by for the supposed increase in gun crime since both the UK and Australia "voluntarily" handed their weapons over.

Shooter Les Grant about to fire his VERY LOUD .223 Vanguard

Some years ago I had a discussion with a gun control advocate.  She professed to hating guns and wanted them banned.  Eventually I managed to reach a compromise with her that as soon as we'd managed to confiscate all the weapons from the criminals in society, we could then get the law abiding to hand theirs over.

For those of you who have not seen it, here is a wonderful one minute advocacy by William Shatner on the use of guns.  Enjoy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OA_nMvIkY

No comments:

Post a Comment