Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sensitivity

After I'd been living in the US for about ten years I went back to England for a trip.  Naturally I found myself in a pub one day and noticed on the wall a little plaque.  On it was the definition of Heaven and Hell.

Heaven is where all the police are British,
All the cooks are French,
All the Mechanics are German,
All the lovers are Italian,
And the whole thing is run by the Swiss.

Hell is where all the police are German,
All the cooks are British,
All the mechanics are French,
All the lovers are Swiss,
And the whole thing is run by the Italians.

My immediate thought was "that's going to upset some people."  But of course, in Europe, societies are used to their well known stereotypes and don't mind the labels, as they quite enjoy them

No comments:

Post a Comment