Friday, June 11, 2010

Zip Lining


T.S. June 10, 2010
Somewhat against my better judgment I've been persuaded to write a blog. I plan to base this around my weekly column, Trevor's Travels, and add some thoughts along the way.

This Sunday's column was about the sport/activity of Zip lining. It's a comparatively new idea and for those who don't know about it, you wear a harness, hang on a cable and zip between trees or towers. The length of each run can vary from 150 feet to 1000 feet.

Now I've done this in Costa Rica in a fit of boredom while on a cruise. It was OK, but I had the tendency to swing around and arrive at each destination facing the wrong way.

We have just opened a Zipline course in Big Bear, and it's very well run. The couple who built it and run it are aficionados of the activity and had the tenacity to pursue the various permits to allow people to put themselves in harm's way. I can only imagine the horror of trying to line up the bureaucrats to sign off on the project, not to mention the costs involved.

At least as you swish between the towers - no trees are allowed for the purpose - you can be sure that unless you weigh more than a full grown rogue elephant, you will be safely supported.

I recently had a garage extended. It took 13 inspections by the building department before they signed off on it as being acceptable. Six months later they sent me a letter saying that they were pulling the permit as I hadn't acted on it. My phone conversation included the fact that even though their records didn't show any addition, the tax department was certainly collecting the adjusted revenue from the project. No more was said on the matter.

If you decide to have a go on the Zipline you must set aside about three hours for the safety film, being ferried to and from the site about ten miles away, and have $95 with you. It is quite good fun!

Does anyone have a tale to tell about this sport/activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment