Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Encyclopaedia Britannica


I was sorry to hear that the Encylopedia Britannica Company has decided finally to end publication of their books.  I think they intend trying to hang on with some sort of on-line version.  I'm sure that won't be easy either with so much information available on the Net.

I was once offered a job by them in London - this was not that wonderful a thing as I'm sure if you  possessed a few teeth, could remain upright, and also string a word or two together you would fit the profile.

I was pretty young but even then, I detected that this might not be the easiest job in the world, and at the time I was searching for just such a post, with attractive compensation to match.

They made great play of the fact that they received leads to follow up, but there might be some cold canvassing (99%?) involved.  Right!  So even though they sent me a written offer with many congratulations on my appointment, I declined the opportunity.  I hope this decision of mine did not in any way contribute to their demise!

No comments:

Post a Comment